A 12" vinyl bootleg that features selected live cuts, quotes and snippets of interviews with Andrew Eldritch
recorded during the early 1980s.
The distribution of this item was organized in an unprecedented way totally different from other bootlegs
by then. A quiz about The Sisters of Mercy was added as an inlay for the bootleg. Using the services
of modern internet sites, in first place the crowdsourced database Discogs, web users could obtain
one copy for free by answering the questions in the quiz correctly.
- Label: rhay creations
- Catalogue#: rhay 13
- Format: 12" vinyl LP
- Released: 2018
- Production Note: Lathe Cut
- Strictly limited to 20 copies, not numbered.
- The vinyl is clear and fully transparent.
- The labels show a dark cloudy landscape with the word "MASTERPLAN" in big, white letters across the middle.
- In the lower third of the labels, the catalogue# is printed in smaller, but also white letters.
- Both labels are identical and give no information on the actual side of the record.
- The catalogue number got messed up. The labels note the number correctly as "rhay 13",
- but everywhere else (except for the mailorder form) the catalogue# is stated wrongly as "rhay 15"
- The cover consists of a generic white sleeve with square prints made of a lacquer-like paint glued to it.
- On the cover front, this print shows a black and white image of the Salzburg located scupture "Cloak of Conscience"
- by Czech painter and sculptor Anna Chromý, a motive the artist widely elaborated in her work.
- Above and below this print appear the bootleg title and the band name in capitals;
- the letters are printed with a lacquer-like paint that is haptically perceivable at a touch.
- The print on the cover back gives the bootleg title, the track list and the bandname. See the picture down below.
- The vinyl is stored in a thick coloured printed inner sleeve.
- The front of the inner sleeve shows a coloured fading version of the front cover motive over which the tracklist
- from the back cover is printed, though here with track times and additional titles of the interviews between the songs.
- All this is surrounded by two columns with the quotes from concerts and interviews that were used on this record,
- each headed with an old head-and-star logo.
- In the lower part of the front sleeve underneath the image, a paragraph with thanks is noted on the right side,
- and below in the right corner the rhay creations logo with the wrong catalogue# rhay 15, instead of rhay 13.
- On the left side some additional remarks are noted saying:
- THESE SONGS WERE SELECTED, RIPPED OFF, SET TO THE RIGHT PITCH, REMIXED, REMASTERED,
- AND MERGED AT BIKE STUDIOS IN THE CAVE WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM DELUXE AND MARWOOD.
- IF YOU'D LIKE TO SEE FOR REAL ALL THE IMAGES 'TEENAGE ANGST' CONTAIN, YOU WOULD HAVE
- TO GO FIRST TO A REALLY GOOD RECORD SHOP AND THEN VISIT SALZBURG, MORCAT AND RODELLAR.
- JESUS HAS BEEN THERE.
- On the back of the inner sleeve is a timeline in the centre and aligned to it the thumbnails of those bootlegs from which
- the songs on the present record are taken. Apart from the reference to these bootlegs and naming the songs used here,
- a short but ouststanding excerpt from the lyrics of the respective song is mentioned as well at the side of each picture.
The Insert & The Quiz
- The record is accompanied by an additional sleeve-size inlay.
- On one side it shows a copper green coloured print of the empty draping cloak sculpture in a square
- similar to the cover front, but not in that high printing quality.
- On the other side is the aforementioned quiz and some introductory notes:
THIS IS A COLLECTOR'S ITEM RELEASED BY RHAY CREATIONS - rhay 15 (wrong again).
THERE WERE ONLY 20 RECORDS MADE.
AS THIS LABEL IS A NON-PROFIT ONE, THEY ARE GIVEN AWAY FOR FREE TO
RECORD COLLECTORS THAT LOVE THE SISTERS JUST AS MUCH AS JESUS DOES:
IN ORDER TO RECEIVE YOUR COPY, ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND SEND
The Quiz & The Answers
These are the questions and their solutions that compose the four letter code:
- The first letter of the second word that Andrew says just at the beginning of the gig in Nijmegen, Spring Tour 1984?
- The tenth letter of the name of the first 12" bootleg of the Sisters Of Mercy ever, released way back in 1984?
- The fourth letter of the run-out groove on side A of the Anaconda 7" (the additional word to "A PORKY PRIME CUT")?
- The Word is "NOTHING", so the letter is "H". Check it on Discogs.
- The letter after the hyphen in the number of years of "Ever after ever more more more" at the 2nd gig ever in Stockholm?
- Andrew sings at this concert twenty-six years, so the letter is "S". You can read it on this site.
- Accordingly, the four-letter code solution is: T-I-H-S (or S-H-I-T written backwards).
- THE TICKET TO EIGHT SELECTED SONGS FOR THE SISTERS OF MERCY, WHICH JESUS LOVES THE MOST.
- JESUS HAS GOT HIS COPY ALREADY.
Worldwide the bootleg finally got spread to:
Black Ribbon - Black Envelope
- The bootleg comes with a black ribbon holding a black envelope to the cover.
- The envelope is sealed with white sealing wax and contains a dedication postcard,
- an A4 letter and the A5 rhay creation mail order sheet.
- The postcard repeats the empty cloak bootleg motive in the same greenish colour as on the insert.
- On the other side there is a picture of The Sisters of Mercy in darkness and fog on stage,
- i.e. a photo print of Andrew Eldritch in his stage cloth of the 1980s, and a handwritten
- dedication naming the country of destination of that indivual copy.
- The A4 letter is partly pre-printed, while the name of the addressee, the shipping cost value
- and the signature of the sender are added in handwriting to each copy.
- The mail order sheet, which is - apart from the labels - the only place where the catalogue#
is noted correctly as rhay 13, is a coloured printed A5 sheet giving thumbnails and information
on all rhay creation items ever produced up to December 2018.
The Track List
|Intro title||Source of the intro||Song title||Duration||Source|
|Intro|| Excerpt from the radio broadcast
"Andrew Eldritch Presents
His Top Tunes" on BRT2 in 1984
|A1 Some Kind Of Stranger||5:43|| Lyceum, London, England |
on Monday, March 25th, 1985
|The Sisters And The Stones|| Part of an interview with Andrew
Eldritch in July 1984
|A2 Gimme Shelter||5:58|| Kolingsborg Club, Stockholm, Sweden |
on Friday, May 17th, 1985
|Get Sensitive!||Quotes from the same concert||A3 Emma (Edit)||6:54|| Het Doornrosje, Nijmegen, The Netherlands |
on Tuesday, June 5th, 1984
|Intro title||Source of the intro||Song title||Duration||Source|
|Collapse|| Taken from a Belgium TV
interview of 1985
|B1 Alice||3:13|| Brixton Ace, London, England |
Saturday, February 19th, 1983
|The Reptile House Is Perverse|| Snippet from an interview
realised in 1983 at the
American broadcasters WNYU
|B2 Fix||2:43|| Royal Albert Hall, London, England |
|Clocks|| A short audio clip from the movie
"Withnail and I"
|B3 Nine While Nine||4:20|| Tiffany's, Newcastle, UK |
|We Are Not Gloomy||Quotes from the same concert||B4 No Time To Cry||4:23|| Fenders Ballroom, Long Beach, USA |
|Barmherzigkeit||Quotes from the same concert||B5 Temple Of Love||4:20|| Loft, West Berlin, West Germany |
The Sound Files
The following sound examples are low quality mp3 files and stored here only to give an impression of how the interview snippets and the songs are arranged on the LP.
|The first minute of the LP||The first few seconds of Fix|
Two complete high-quality sound files of the entire record (side A and side B) are in circulation among the fanbase.
Interview with the Bootleggers
For an interview, we've led with the bootleggers, please check the Discussion Page of this site.
- Please click into the pictures for larger views -