A Brief Overview
The Sisters of Mercy are a rock band that came out of the British post punk scene in 1980-1981.
The band cited Leonard Cohen, The Stooges, Suicide and Motörhead as among their influences. The group has made three original studio albums, of which the last was released in 1990. In 1992 followed, however, a compilation album featuring the early singles, and in 1993 their Greatest Hits Vol. 1 album was launched, which included their last track ever released under an official record company contract Under The Gun.
Since then, the band is kept alive as a touring outfit. The only original member to survive the band's lineup changes is singer and songwriter Andrew Eldritch (even Doktor Avalanche, the drum-machine, is not an original member). All of the other original members had left the group by 1985, the same year as their first studio album, First And Last And Always, was released. At the time of the second Sisters album, the majestic Floodland (1987), The Sisters were essentially a studio-bound outfit, although by the time of Vision Thing (1990) Eldritch had again formed a fully-working band to take the album on the road. That incarnation was short-lived. Nonetheless, the band have been touring regularly with stable long-time varieties of personnel ever since. Another album release is ... possible, maybe, one day (or other) ... along crowd funding or when the time is right ... err ... whatever, let's hope for the best ... ;-)) ...
The Sisters of Mercy are one of the most popular and influential bands among the gothic rock scene, although since the late 1980s Eldritch has tried to disassociate both himself and the band from that scene.
In 2011, The Sisters embarked on their SISTERS XXX 30th Stage Anniversary Tour all over Europe, including a long-due gig at Fuji Rock Festival, Japan and an additional series of first performances in New Zealand and Australia.
The latter were postponed, however, to February/March 2012 and then followed by a further three gigs in Latin America (Brazil, Argentina, Mexico) which ended the SISTERS XXX 30th Stage Anniversary festivities.
On January 21st, 2014, The Sisters of Mercy tweet-notified the world of their gig at Sonisphere Festival 2014 at Knebworth Park. What follwed was a tour of 17 gigs to Germany, Austria, Eastern Europe, Benelux in May, and to England, Scotland and Ireland in July, ending in a festival performance at Zottegem, Belgium.
In 2015, The Sisters of Mercy played a festival gig on August 1st at Suikerrock Festival, Tienen, Belgium and went on a short, but brilliant tour scheduled for Scotland, England, Belgium, Germany and Greece in October (and December) 2015. The year 2016 was marked by the Europe Spring Tour in March, the following Summer gigs in August and Septempber, and another short tour of the UK and Beligium in November, which ended in a Near Meth Experience performance at the fundraising event for former Doktor's nurse Si Denbigh.
|Band History||Members (past and present)||Lyrics||Heartland Gallery|
|Tours||Bootlegs||TV & Sessions||Tablatures|
|T-shirts||Fanzines And Books||Interviews||Ringtones|
Other Sisters (Fan) Sites
- The Sisters Of Mercy Image Gallery - (part of the Heartland forums)
- Glasperlenspiel - the most recent officially endorsed Sisters fanzine, last issue 2003
- I Was A Teenage Sisters of Mercy Fan - a very lovely and interesting blog
- Sisters Tours - extensive setlists, reviews, overviews and interviews from Sisters concerts
- tsom.org - assorted Sisters fan pages, many of them no longer online
- The Sisters of Mercy Database v0.5 Beta - an extensive database on tours, setlists, venues, the band ... updated until 2003
- THE REPTILE HOUSE EP LYRICS - exactly what it says, no more and no less
- PiB Sisters Reference Site - an informative site about existing Sisters recordings up to 2009
- sistersbootlegs - information on all kinds of bootlegs, videos, books, etc.
- The Sisters of Mercy Ultimate Resource Guide - the one and only ... updated to 2009
- a lovely comprehensive Polish language Sisters site - gone ...: - ( ... however HERE COME THE GOLDEN OLDIES ...: - ))...
- First And Last Archive - recently invented, still growing press archive on the early days of The Sisters of Mercy
- The Sisters of Mercy Discography @discogs - very extensive information about official and non-official releases