The Sisters of Mercy's fifth official release ... the tracks on this record were initially produced by John Ashton for the Alice 7" single and got released in full in the United States first, when Les Mills, the then manager of the Psychedelic Furs and somewhat The Sisters manager at the time as well, gave an Alice 7" and a tape of the full recordings to a representative of Brain Eater Records.
|Brain Eater Records||MR021||12" vinyl EP||1983 - USA|| Produced by John Ashton. The release included a promo press map |
and a feedback postcard.
|Merciful Release||MR021||12" vinyl EP||March 1983 - UK|| This release followed in response to imported copies of the American Brain Eater 12" |
surfacing in the UK at greatly inflated prices.
|Merciful Release||MR021||12" vinyl EP||March 1983 - UK||UK repressing comes with barcode - Barcode: 5 016554 002167 -|
|Merciful Release||MR021||12" vinyl EP||March 1989 - The Netherlands|| Published by Copyright Control|
Pressed by Sony/CBS, Haarlem – 08-25196-20, mastered by Porky
|This page is Work in Progress and going to be extended as soon as ever possible|
- The original Braineater issue was marketed and distributed by Braineater Records in the USA,
- Compared with the Alice (single), which had been released in 1982,
- the EP came with two additional tracks on the side B:
- - Phantom, one of the few instrumentals by The Sisters of Mercy, and
- - 1969, a cover of the Stooges'song
- that had been part of The Sisters setlist right from their very start.
- The EP was delivered with four inserts:
- - a copy of the original Matisse artwork used for the cover
- - a flyer promoting the Alice vinyl release
- and the release of The March Violets' Grooving In Green single;
- - an announcement flyer for The Sisters of Mercy's concert
- at Alexandria Hotel, Los Angeles on 29 October 1983;
- - and a copy of an early press review by Adam Sweeting dated 27 February 1982.
- As this first Sisters EP was such a success in the US and soon got (re-)imported
- to the UK at very high prices, an official Merciful Release issue followed hard on its heels.
- There are, however, different pressings of that Merciful Release version:
- - the original UK release, without barcode
- - a UK repressing with barcode on the backsleeve - Barcode: 5 016554 002167
- - a Dutch repressing with barcode on the backsleeve - Barcode: 5 016554 002167
- Made in Holland is printed on the label and spine
- - a French repressing does allegedly exist as well, but is just an error
- based on the fact that the vinyls were mostly pressed by MPO in France
- All EPs run at 45 rpm
- Runoff groove inscriptions:
- "im westen nichts neues-jesus loves the sisters"
- "for spiggy (foreign field)"
- "mein irisch kind. wo weilest du?"
- A special t-shirt was also designed upon the release (picture on the left).
- * our thanks for the pictures of the shirt go to HL Forum member ribbons69.
- Craig Adams - Bass
- Gary Marx - Guitars
- Ben Gunn - Guitars
- Andrew Eldritch - Vocals
- Doktor Avalanche - Drums
- Please click into files for larger views -
Brain Eater US Release