The Sisters of Mercy's fifth official release ... initially financed by John Ashton and released in the United States.
|Braineater||MR021||12" vinyl EP||1983 - USA|| Financed by John Ashton. The release included a promo press map |
and a feedback postcard.
|Merciful Release||MR021||12" vinyl EP||March 1983 - UK|| This release followed in response to imported copies of the American Braineater 12" |
surfacing in the UK at greatly inflated prices.
|Merciful Release||MR021||12" vinyl EP||March 1983 - UK||UK Repressing comes with barcode - Barcode: 5 016554 002167 -|
|Merciful Release||MR021||12" vinyl EP||March 1989 - The Netherlands|| Published by Copyright Control|
Pressed by Sony/CBS, Haarlem – 08-25196-20, mastered by Porky
|This page is Work in Progress and going to be extended as soon as ever possible|
- The original Braineater issue was marketed and distributed by Braineater Records in the USA,
- Compared with the Alice (single), which had been released in 1982,
- the EP came with two additional tracks on the side B:
- - Phantom, one of the few instrumentals by The Sisters of Mercy, and
- - 1969, a cover of the Stooges'song
- that had been part of The Sisters setlist right from their very start.
- The EP was delivered with four inserts:
- - a copy of the original Matisse artwork used for the cover
- - a flyer promoting the Alice vinyl release
- and the release of The March Violets' Grooving In Green single;
- - an announcement flyer for The Sisters of Mercy's concert
- at Alexandria Hotel, Los Angeles on 29 October 1983;
- - and a copy of an early press review by Adam Sweeting dated 27 February 1982.
- As this first Sisters EP was such a success in the US and soon got (re-)imported
- to the UK at very high prices, an official Merciful Release issue followed hard on its heels.
- There are, however, different pressings of that Merciful Release version:
- - the original UK release, without barcode
- - a UK repressing with barcode on the backsleeve - Barcode: 5 016554 002167
- - a Dutch repressing with barcode on the backsleeve - Barcode: 5 016554 002167
- Made in Holland is printed on the label and spine
- - a French repressing does allegedly exist as well, but is just an error
- based on the fact that the vinyls were mostly pressed by MPO in France
- All EPs run at 45 rpm
- Runoff groove inscriptions:
- "im westen nichts neues-jesus loves the sisters"
- "for spiggy (foreign field)"
- "mein irisch kind. wo weilest du?"
- A special t-shirt was also designed upon the release (picture on the left).
- * our thanks for the pictures of the shirt go to HL Forum member ribbons69.
- Craig Adams - Bass
- Gary Marx - Guitars
- Ben Gunn - Guitars
- Andrew Eldritch - Vocals
- Doktor Avalanche - Drums
- Please click into files for larger views -
Braineater US Release