The Lights Shine Clear Through The Sodium Haze
One of the very early double-LP bootlegs on coloured vinyl featuring mainly live tracks from 1983 and 1984,
as well as studio outtakes from The Sisters' second 7" single Body Electric.
- Label: for the later reissue possibly Situation Zero
- Original issue: SM-002/003
- Later re-issue: SM-2389 (also with differend run-outs,
- see the later version on blue and multi-coloured vinyl down below)
- Run-outs (original release):
- Record 1: SM - 002/Aet - SM - 002/B et
- Record 2: SM - 003/Aet - SM - 003/B et
- Format: 2 × 12" vinyl LP
- Released: 1984 (Germany)
- Originally, a limited-edition bootleg of 600 hand-numbered or unnumbered copies.
- The hand-numbered copies have their numbers partly written in pink and partly in blue colour.
- The covers are basically white with a printed Merciful Release logo
- and some basic information on the front as follows:
- THE SISTERS OF MERCY
- the lights shine clear through the sodium haze
- LIVE IN DETMOLD 29/5/84
- I anaconda side
- II floorshow side
- III gimme shelter side
- IV sister ray side
- LIMITED EDITTION .../600
- Due to the Merciful Release logo on the cover front, this bootleg is often confused with the bootlegs
- A Merciful Release, also known as Merciful Release or The Sisters Of Mercy,
- although, that bootleg consists of only 1LP mainly featuring the gig @Hunky Dory in Detmold.
- Beyond that, a further 1LP bootleg exists titled Mercyful Release. It has the same content
- as A Merciful Release but a very different coverart from that one and the one presented here.
- The cover back of the present bootleg as well as of the one mentioned above
- (execpt for Mercyful Release) is plain white.
- Later issues have a coloured copy sheet glued to the cover front instead of the print.
- These copy sheets give exactly the same information in exactly the same style as is on the printed covers.
- Covers have so far been seen with a copy sheet in red-brown (auburn) or in green (mint) colour.
- Of the latter green ones, only 100 copies were made (501/600) as a second pressing.
- These pressings seem to be numbered always as 600/600 and mostly come with a b/w insert sheet.
- An A4 insert sheet with venue announcement and track info is often included, and while not all copies have one,
- some issues even come with two very similar but still different insert sheets.
- Insert sheets also appear in different colours: b/w, red (auburn), blue, and (mint)green.
- Bootlegs with low numbers (<100) often have a white insert sheet.
- The original issues of this bootleg were pressed on clear multi-coloured splattered vinyl with white labels.
- More rarely, one can find issues coming with one white multi-coloured vinyl and one clear multi-coloured vinyl.
- A later version with one clear blue vinyl and one multi-coloured splattered vinyl is also common.
- The vinyls of this version have different run-outs:
- Record 1 (clear blue vinyl): SM-2389/A et and SM-2389/B et
- Record 2 (multi-coloured vinyl): SM-2389/Aet and SM-2389/B et
- The run-outs found on this version have also been used as the matrix numbers for the Live At Brixton Ace bootleg,
- which has led to some confusion going as far as some issues of Brixton Ace being delivered with one record from
- The Lights Shine Clear and vice versa, although the contents of these records differed.
- You can read more about these aspects on page 14 of The Phantom Twins' Discography booklet
- intended to accompany the unreleased Reverberation Across The Nation LP.
Track-info mistakes on the insert
- Walk Away is listed as "Kiss The Carpet", although the track is not on the records
- Emma is misspelled "Emely"
- D4 is mixed up with D5
Other insert sheet notes (in German)
|29. Mai Sensations-Gastspiel|
|The Sisters Of Mercy|
|Nur 4 Tage in der BRD|
|1 Tag im Hunky-Dory in Detmold!|
|Englands Kult-Band Nr.1|
|Di 29.5. 21 Uhr The Sisters Of Mercy Einlaß ab 20 Uhr|
- A1-C4: Recorded live at Hunky Dory, Detmold, Germany, 29 May 1984
- D1 (according to cover notes) recorded live at Odeon, Münster, Germany, 1 September 1983, which is definitely wrong.
- The Phantom Twins - rightly - name Kir Club, Hamburg, West Germany, 31 August 1983 as the recording date for this track, see their discography booklet
- D2, D3: Studio outtakes from the 2nd official 7" single
- D4, D5: Recorded live at Paradiso, Amsterdam, NL, 28 August 1983
Due to its content, the present boogleg is often called Live In Detmold.
|Side A||Side B|
|A1 Burn||B1 Emma|
|A2 Heartland||B2 Floorshow|
|A3 Body And Soul||B3 Adrenochrome|
|A4 Anaconda||B4 Alice|
|A5 Walk Away|
|Side C||Side D|
|C1 Body Electric||D1 Temple Of Love|
|C2 Gimme Shelter||D2 Body Electric|
|C3 Ghostrider||D3 Adrenochrome|
|C4 Sister Ray||D4 Lights|
|D5 Louie Louie|
- Please click into files for larger views -