The Reptile House EP
After Alice, The Sisters of Mercy's second EP ...
There is an interesting and entertaining article about this record in the I Was A Teenage Sisters of Mercy Fan blog.
Check the entry Eldritch's crowning glory? - The Reptile House EP.
Some recollections from the recordings by John Spence, recording and mastering engineer at Ken Giles' Bridlington Studio at the time, can also be found in this post @The Heartland Forums.
- Label: Merciful Release
- Catalogue#: MR023
- Format: vinyl single, 12" only
- UK release: 16 May 1983
- UK/France release (repress): June 1983
- US - Brain Eater Records release: 10 July 1983
- Dutch Re-issue: 1989
- The first 5,000 initial copies included a lyric sheet.
- From the beginning, some covers have had a violet on crimson print instead of a dark pink on black one.
- Over the years, repressings in many shades of violet and pink have obviously been produced and distributed.
- On the spine of the repressings "Made In England" is noted instead of the catalogue number MR023.
- For information about the origin of the cover artwork see this astonishing thread at the Heartland Forums
- According t-shirts were printed and distributed as well.
- * our thanks for the t-shirt pictures go to HL Forum member ribbons69.
- Side A: MPO / MR 023 A2
- Side AA: MPO / MR 023 AA2 / For Spiggy - Paint it Black
- "MPO" is crossed out on the Dutch re-issues,
- instead 08-025198-20-1/2 was added.
Band / Recording Personnel
- Andrew Eldritch - Vocals
- Gary Marx - Guitars
- Ben Gunn - Guitars
- Craig Adams - Bass
- Doktor Avalanche - Drums
|A1 Kiss The Carpet||5:55|
|B4 Kiss The Carpet (Reprise)||0:36|
- Other than on Some Girls Wander By Mistake
- Kiss The Carpet is shortened to Kiss on the EP cover.
- Kiss The Carpet (Reprise) is not mentioned at all,
- neither on the label, nor on the sleeve of the EP.
- The version of this song on the EP does not fade out or quieten
- down like the version on Some Girls Wander By Mistake.
- Three tracks from the EP were broadcast by John Peel on
- various occasions - Kiss The Carpet, Lights and Valentine
- - 14 June 1983 John Peel Show, Radio One - Kiss The Carpet
- - 19 June 1983 John Peel's Music, BFBS - Kiss The Carpet
- - 06 July 1983 John Peel Show, Radio One - Lights
- - 06 July 1983 John Peel's Music, BFBS - Valentine
- - 20 August 1983 John Peel's Music, BFBS - Kiss The Carpet
Different Releases - Overview
|Merciful Release||MR023||EP 12"||16 May 1983||UK|| The first 5000 came with a lyric sheet. Some copies are violet on crimson instead of |
pink on black. Kiss The Carpet (Reprise) is not listed on the cover. MR023 printed on
the spine. No barcode.
|Merciful Release||MR023||EP 12"||10 July 1983||UK|| Braineater version - pressing for US-distribution. Comes with a green or white sticker |
on the back side and an insert (lyrics sheet). Allegedly, some copies also include a
b/w promo sheet. No barcode.
|Merciful Release||MR023||EP 12"||June 1983||UK/France||Repressing."Made In England" printed on the spine. No lyrics sheet. No barcode.|
|Merciful Release||MR023||EP 12"||1989||The Netherlands|| Repressing, comes with barcode 5016554002310 printed on the back sleeve.|
"Made in Holland" and catalogue# 08-025198-20-1/2 on the labels and in the run-outs.
This version has a reddish sleeve and comes without lyrics sheet or other insert,
some have a "MADE IN HOLLAND" sticker.
- Please click into files for larger views -
Braineater and Original UK release (1983)
Dutch re-issue (1989)