Light And Shadow
Subtitle as noted on the cover back: Demos And Alternate Recordings.
- Label: Swingshift Records UK
- Catalogue# and run-outs: Mercy 2
- Format: 12" vinyl LP
- Released: 10 Feb 2017 (USA)
- Good sound quality. Swingshift Records are known to reissue former releases of old demos from a variety of bands.
- The record was initially sold as "1984 Studio Demos With Alternate Lyrics & Arrangements", which most likely refers to the Strawberry Sessions 1984.
- According to sellers' notes in online auctions, the bootleg was manufactured in the UK
- - and then obviously delivered as a "RARE IMPORT FAN CLUB ISSUE" to and from the US
- The coverart on the front side gives the bandname and the album title in red capital letters and shows
- a slightly cut and modified b/w print of an old wooden church.
- The picture, that was originally taken as a colour photo by Latvian photographer Andrejs Pidjass (Nejron)
- was used in 2012 for the front and back cover of the psycho thriller Redemeption by Troy Lambert.
- The backcover looks plain black and notes:
- "DEMOS AND ALTERNATE RECORDINGS", then the tracklist and below the label "SWINGSHIFT RECORDS".
At least two editions of a different vinyl colour are known to exist.
- The vinyls of the first edition are black and run at 33 rpm.
- They have black labels with golden-coloured print repeating the cross motive from the cover
- and give the bandname, the album title, the side mark and the tracks on that side.
- Allegedly, this is a limited edition of 500 copies, although there is no numbering neither on the cover,
- nor on the labels. Insofar there is also no proof of the actual number of copies.
- The first copies of this issue were offered as "180 GRAM BLACK VINYL LP IMPORT RECORDS".
- We do not know, whether this refers to an initial edition consisting of a low number of copies,
- that were pressed on higher-quality vinyl, or to all black-vinyl issues.
- The second edition surfaced a few months after the first
- one and is also a limited edition, but of 100 copies, only.
- The record is pressed on dark red marbled vinyl, but the colour of some copies
- is so dark that it appears like almost dark purple.
- Apart from the colour of the vinyl, the colour of the label print does also differ from the first edition.
- It is grey or silver instead of golden, while the information and its layout including the cross motive are identical.
- The labels of this edition look somewhat sloppily printed, though.
- A test pressing did also appear. It has the same cover as the final release and is pressed on black vinyl,
- The labels are plain white, though, with handwritten information on them (see the picture on the left),
- giving the catalogue#, the side marker and the date of its manufacture: 11/21/16
- The versions of the songs presented on this bootleg were mainly taken from the Strawberry Sessions in 1984.
|Track||Additional notes||Alternative titel on other releases|
|A1 First And Last And Always||(MARIAN LYRICS)||Red Skies Disappear|
|A2 Black Planet||(DANCE ON GLASS LYRICS)||Dance On Glass|
|A3 Garden Of Delight||(ELDRITCH VOCALS)|
|A4 Knockin' On Heaven's Door|
|A5 Serpent's Kiss|
|B2 A Rock And A Hard Place|
|B3 No Time To Cry|
|B4 First And Last And Always|
|B5 Walk Away|
For recent price developments see popsike/light and shadow.
- Please click into files for larger views -