Stairway To Heaven (bootleg)
Stairway To Heaven is a bootleg from The Sisters of Mercy's gig at King George Hall, Blackburn in 1985.
A LP bootleg of this concert does also exist and is titled "Heaven Can Wait". The recording on there is, however, an incomplete version.
This was the only occasion where The Sisters of Mercy performed Stairway To Heaven
live with lyrics. They had played the song a few times before, but only as an instrumental
introduction to their Sister Ray / Ghostrider medleys.
However, after this concert, maybe since Eldritch forgot (or just didn't know) the words,
they never performed Stairway To Heavenas a separate song again.
Most likely a cassette like the one you see here on the right is
the origin of the recording used for this CD production.
- Label: Cenobyte Sounds
- Catalogue#: 0012/0013
- Format: 2 x CD-r
- Released: 2002
- Bizarrely, the cover art, and both CDs (printed CD-rs) advertise the bootleg
as a 2CD Set For The Price Of A Single CD!.
- The CDs themselves have no artwork, but have the band name, the bootleg name,
the venue and the date printed on them, as well as the following:
|Disc 1||Disc 2|
|DISC ONE (left of centre)||DISC TWO (left of centre)|
|Cenobyte Sounds 0012/0013||Cenobyte Sounds 0012/0013|
|Running Time 46:38||Running Time 39:33|
|CENOBYTE (right of centre)||CENOBYTE (right of centre)|
| ©2002 Cenobyte Sounds
All Rights Reserved
| ©2002 Cenobyte Sounds |
All Rights Reserved
|Manufactured In The EU||Manufactured In The EU|
- Recorded live on March 21rst, 1985 at The King George Hall, Blackburn
|Disc One||Disc Two||Sister Ray Medley (course)|
|1. First And Last And Always||1. A Rock And A Hard Place||00:00 - Drums start|
|2. Body And Soul||2. Floorshow||00:12 - Guitars start|
|3. Train||3. Alice||00:34 - "Sister Ray!"|
|4. Marian||4. Body Electric||01:07 - Vocals start|
|5. No Time To Cry||5. Gimme Shelter||06:52 - Vocals stop|
|6. Possession||6. Some Kind Of Stranger||07:08 - Drums stop|
|7. Walk Away||7. Stairway To Heaven||07:24 - Guitar feedback fades out|
|8. Burn||8. Sister Ray|
|10. Amphetamine Logic|
Quotes From The Gig
- "Yes. And why not? ...Right. Can't hear you! ...Wouldn't tell you if I could" (before First And Last And Always )
- "Don't worry, we ain't gonna take it out on you, cause the rest of Blackburn didn't turn up... Body And Soul." (before Body And Soul)
- Eldritch: "Thanks.. ..this concerns.."
Audience member: "How's your hair!?"
Eldritch: "Fine thank you, how's yours? ...Concerns trains!" (introducing Train)
- "For those of us who can't be with us today.. it's time for.. [silhouettes?]... Marian!" (after Train, introducing Marian)
- "What? Oh, come one.. one at a time! You in the yellow flares, what?"
(as audience shouts various things. The one in the yellow flares doesn't say anything audible.)
- "Ah.. this is definitely for you. Ah! Far too slow.. far too fast! Next! It's called Possession." (introducing Possession)
- "It's always a hazard.." (mumbled after Possession)
- Eldritch: "Ah ah ah ah ah.. calm down, calm down!"
Audience member: "On The Wire!" (the audience start screaming song names)
Eldritch: "Listen! We don't know those songs anymore. No, really, we forgot them." (before Emma)
- "This isn't difficult" (before Floorshow)
- "Here it comes" (before Alice)
- "Thanks.. t'ra!" (after Gimme Shelter)
- "Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door" (female audience member near bootlegger)
- "This.. you're not gonna like this. What can I say? Yeah, I know.. I guess I was just born lucky really.
If you feel like me, maybe you ought to go see my mother some time. She's called Some Kind Of Stranger." (introducing Some Kind Of Stranger)
- "Just sometimes.. when you're not looking.. thanks." (after Some Kind Of Stranger as the audience are shouting for more)
- Eldritch: "We're gonna write this even worse. Shut up! You've never heard us play this before, have you?
Probably never will.. There's a bus goes now from out there, you'd be advised."
Audience member: "Get on with it!"
Elritch: "We gotta tune the guitars up, man! This is a song that respects a respectful quiet introduction, this [????] noise!"
Guitars start playing Stairway To Heaven, female audience member near bootlegger (again!): "Led Zeppelin... it is." (introducing Stairway To Heaven)