Silence Is Platinum
From SistersWiki.org - The Sisters Of Mercy Fan Wiki
A limited edition box set with 2 x 7" vinyls from the late 1980ies.
- Label: Palazzograssi Records
- Catalogue#: PG-01
- Format: 2 x 7" vinyl single (box set)
- Released: 1987 / 1989
- Soundboard recording, very good sound quality, though the pitch is a little too low.
- Click the sound files further down below to check.
- The set exists in at least two editions.
- The first edition comes in a black box with a Hessian type appearance.
- The second set has a red gatefold cover and is limited to 40 copies.
- Recorded live on 30th May 1985 at Fenders Ballroom, Long Beach, USA
- The concert is incomplete. First And Last And Always, Walk Away, Emma
- and Amphetamine Logic are missing
- The same selection of songs of this gig can be found on the Floorshow LP bootleg.
For recent price developments see sistersbootlegs/Silence Is Platinum or popsike/silenceisplatinum or, alternatively, here at CollectorsFrenzy/Silence_is_platinum.
The Various Editions
Original Box Set
- A limited edition of 1000 sets in a black box issued in 1987.
- The box set comes in a black textured box with an embossed Merciful Release logo
and the Silence Is Platinum title in silver foil print on the front.
- On the back side the boxes are plain black.
- The sets contain two 7" vinyls, one of which is clear white,
the other blueish or greyish or dark green / olive marbled.
- Issues with one white and one black vinyl are also said to exist.
- The vinyls have black labels with Merciful Release logo and detail the tracks on each side.
- Each record is housed in a white centre cut window sleeve with no printing.
Further contents are:
- A heavy black inlay card with the same image as on the box front in white print on black ground.
The reverse is printed in white on black giving the track list, comprehensive details on the release,
a list of contents and the numbering stamp.
- A copy of the concert poster showing a picture of three sculls in black print on glossy
white paper. Size: 44cm x 32cm. The poster also has the limited number stamped on it.
- A two-page review of the concert from Midnight Magazine including further details
about the American leg of the 1985 Armageddon Tour
Red Gatefold Release
- Two years after the original - in 1989 - a further release of 40 hand-numbered copies was issued.
- These additional copies come in a glossy red gatefold sleeve with the same cover art as the box set.
Only the print is black on red (dark orange) here.
- They were done on the occasion of a record fair event - The Sisters of Mercy Convention,
which took place on 19 March 1989 at the Astoria on Roundhay Road in Leeds.
- Initially, these issues were sold only there and
count among the rarest Sisters bootlegs to find.
- The actual reason behind the limited red gatefold
edition was that some of the black boxes were
damaged and too expensive to remake. So the
number of availble boxes did not cover the vinyls
that had been pressed.
- Apart from the cover, the contents of this release
are identical with the original box set.
- The numberings are, all handwritten, though, and
do partly also give 19-3-89 as the date of release.
In addition, the cover has a white numbering space
printed at the side, in which the number is written.
- Proof-sleeve and unnumbered promo copies do exist as well.
- Here is at least a picture of a red gatefold test cover.
- Obviously, there is no numbering space on this test print.
- Rumours of fake copies of especially the black box-set prevail.
|A1 Rock And A Hard Place||B1 Gimme Shelter|
|C1 Alice||D1 Marian|
|C2 Body And Soul||D2 No Time To Cry|
- Please click into the files for larger´views -
|Recording from the Silence is Platinum 7"||Recording with a camara directly at the concert|
|Good quality, but the pitch is a little bit too low||Bad quality, but this seems to be the correct pitch|