Tiffany's, Merrion Centre, Leeds, England
This concert is listed in the Official Gigography
and one of the seven known gigs of The Sisters of Mercy in 1981/2 with the F-Club events series in Leeds.
The event came under the header ROCKAROUND ALL DAY, subtitled with
12 local groups and 5 poets rock and read for "The International Year of The Disabled Person".
|This page is Work in Progress and going to be extended as soon as ever possible|
The bands listed to play on that day were announced as follows:
- THE START - A new young band to open the show!
- A NEW OPERA - Leeds most depressing band - must be seen to be believed!
- SISTERS of MERCY - Mercifully Released - Here to save your soul! - Well, we all know where this has led to and what has become of it ... ;-))) ...
- the Munroes - Hard-working Leeds band with an even harder approach! - Apparently, they didn't go all that far and long, but they are mentioned with a few gigs in 80/81 on page 7 of the Forgotten Pop Bands of Leeds thread in the wonderful SecretLeeds Forums. As it seems, there is also a video of them on YT playing a track called Rainbow Sun.
- DALE HARGREAVES' FLAMINGOS - Frontman with The Vye and his popular new band. - In this constellation the band would later release a 7" single titled Scared To Death.
- THE AUSTRALIANS - Anything you can play - They can play it standing on their heads!! - A band from Liverpool including a certain Tommy Scott.
- KEEPING DARK - Ada Wilson and crew "carry the candle" for Wakefield! - Their recent L.P. "Tattoo Hosts Vision On!" - Keeping Dark were also know as the rhythm section of Just Frank. Steve Smith, the bass player of the latter band, would later become a founding member of Red Lorry Yellow Lorry and also appear on vocals with the Ghost Dance track Heart Full Of Soul.
- KNIFE EDGE - Could this be the year of "no hassle"? - Leeds-based punk band who issued one 7" single in 1980 and included Mark Sweeney, original singer of the early Red Lorry Yellow Lorry. He left, however, before any records were released.
- ROCKABILLY REBELS - Leeds Top Rockabilly Group - New Album Out Now! - Could it be, they still exist?
- BOADICEAN - Reggae with a distinctive sound! - We've found nothing about them on discogs or elsewhere in our usual sources, but they are mentioned under the name of "BODICEAN" on page 3 of this lovely old Leeds Uni Student News as "Leeds Best Reggae Band" ...
*** from where we have (more or less) shamefully snipped the announcement picture here hoping that John F Keenan does forgive us for the sake of worldwide information ...
- unknown -
|This article is a stub and is in need of expansion|