Satanic Verses (Test Pressing)
This is the test pressing for the Satanic Verses 2LP bootleg,
which presents the first of the two famous concerts at the Wembley Arena in London, where The Sisters of Mercy played on November 24th, 1990 at the end of the Tour Thing 1 tour in support of the fresh release of their Vision Thing album.
Obviously, at least one mispressing occurred in the process
at the Hungarian pressing plant as copies of both LPs appeared as individual items
on sale in online auctions. Of the two examples here, one has classical music, the other one
Hungarian folkore music on one side, see below.
Release & Production Notes
- Manufacture: Hungaroton
- Catalogue#: NRLP 69 (Record 1) / NRLP 70 (Record 2)
- Format: 2 x 12" vinyl LP
- Running speed: 33rpm
- Pressed: 1991 (Hungary)
- NRLP 69-A / NRLP 69-B
- NRLP 70-A / NRLP 70-B
- These records were not meant for the Hungarian market but pressed for labels abroad, a fully new market for the once biggest Hungarian state label of the socialist era.
- The record labels are those of the manufacturers and give the catalogue number, the record side, the signature of the controller, and the date of the pressing.
- However, these data are time and again omitted on the b-sides of the records.
- The vinyls come in plain white sleeves with an insert.
- as of Satanic Verses -
|Record One||Record Two|
|A1 First And Last And Always||B1 Dominion/Mother Russia||C1 Amphetamine Logic||D1 Jolene|
|A2 Lucretia, My Reflection||B2 Flood II||C2 Marian||D2 Temple Of Love|
|A3 Body And Soul||B3 Valentine||C3 Gimme Shelter||D3 Something Fast|
|A4 Detonation Boulevard||B4 Heartland||C4 This Corrosion||D4 Vision Thing|
|A5 Ribbons||B5 Doctor Jeep|
- Please click into the pictures for larger views -
Completely intact version - The labels of the copy shown above.
- Please click into the pictures lor larger views -
Mispressed Record 1, sold as an individual item in online auctions
This item was meant to be the first of the two vinyls and has B1-B5 on Side A and is noted as such on the label.
Side B, on the other hand, plays some classical music that is indicated on the cover only as SLPM 12, while
the Satanic Verses side is noted as NRLP 69(B). The label of Side B is virgin, though.
Mispressed Record 2, sold as an individual item in online auctions
This is a mispressed version of record two. Side D is pressed indeed with the tracks D1-D4 of the Satanic Verses 2LP, but on the A, resp. the C-Side are tracks B1-B6
of some Hungarian folklore-like rock opera titled Mária Evangéliuma, which is also a 2LP release and can be found in this Hungaroton catalogue (scroll).
This copy comes without an insert. And anyway, all this could not have been detected, had someone not left the according notes on the cover:
- NRLP 70(D) SISTERS OF MERCY Satanic verses (* some unreadable Hungarian words) and
- SLPX 14199 (B)... * some hardly readable Hungarian words again ... * should anybody be able to decipher this writing, please let us know ... ; -) ...
For the Satanic Verses side the catalogue no. is also pressed into the runout (see the pictures below).