A Brief Overview
The Sisters of Mercy are a rock band that came out of the British post punk scene in 1980-1981.
The band cited Leonard Cohen, The Stooges, Suicide and Motörhead as among their influences. The group has made three original studio albums, of which the last was released in 1990. In 1992 followed, however, a compilation album featuring the early singles, and in 1993 their Greatest Hits Vol. 1 album was launched, which included their last track ever released under an official record company contract Under The Gun.
Since then, the band is kept alive as a touring outfit. The only original member to survive the band's lineup changes is singer and songwriter Andrew Eldritch (even Doktor Avalanche, the drum-machine, is not an original member). All of the other original members had left the group by 1985, the same year as their first studio album, First And Last And Always, was released. At the time of the second Sisters album, the majestic Floodland (1987), The Sisters were essentially a studio-bound outfit, although by the time of Vision Thing (1990) Eldritch had again formed a fully-working band to take the album on the road. That incarnation was short-lived. Nonetheless, the band have been touring regularly with stable long-time varieties of personnel ever since. Another album release is, however, explicitly not part of Eldritch's current agenda.
The Sisters of Mercy are one of the most popular and influential bands among the gothic rock scene, although since the late 1980s Eldritch has tried to disassociate both himself and the band from that scene.
In 2011, The Sisters got up to their SISTERS XXX 30th Stage Anniversary Tour all over Europe, including a long-due gig at Fuji Rock Festival, Japan
and an additional series of first performances in New Zealand and Australia. The latter were postponed, however, to February/March 2012 and then followed
by a further three gigs in Latin America (Brazil, Argentina, Mexico) which ended the SISTERS XXX 30th Stage Anniversary festivities.
Summer 2012 saw two festival appearances in Belgrade, Serbia and Cologne, Germany, while 2013 remained a year of early announced and happy silence.
On January 21rst, 2014, The Sisters of Mercy tweet-notified the world of their next coming gig at Sonisphere Festival 2014 at Knebworth Park.
For updates about further upcoming events, don't miss to check our Current Events page.
|Band History||Members (past and present)||Lyrics||Heartland Gallery|
|Tours||Bootlegs||TV & Radio Sessions||Tablatures|
|T-shirts||Fanzines And Books||Interviews||Ringtones|
- The Sisters of Mercy official homepage
- The Sisters Of Mercy @tsomofficial#Twitter
- Dominion - The Sisters Of Mercy mailing list
- The Heartland Forum's 404 Page
- Heartland - The Sisters Of Mercy discussion forum
- MyHeartland @heartlandforum #Twitter
- Poison Door - A popular German-language Sisters forum
- Thesistersofmercy.zikforum - The first French-language Sisters forum
- My Dominion NL - The Sisters Of Mercy fan site and Dutch-speaking forum
Other Sisters Fan Sites
- The Sisters Of Mercy Image Gallery (part of the Heartland forums)
- Glasperlenspiel - Officially endorsed Sisters fanzine
- I Was A Teenage Sisters of Mercy Fan - a very lovely and interesting blog
- Sisters Tours - extensive setlists, reviews, overviews and interviews from Sisters concerts
- tsom.org - Assorted Sisters fan pages
- The Sisters of Mercy Database v0.5 Beta - an extensive database on tours, setlists, venues, the band ... updated until 2003
- sistersbootlegs - information on all kinds of bootlegs, videos, books, etc.
- The Sisters of Mercy Ultimate Resource Guide
- The Sisters Of Mercy - France: read the latest Sisters News in French
- a lovely comprehensive Sisters site (in Polish language) - gone ...: - ( ... however HERE COME THE GOLDEN OLDIES ...: - ))...